My Blog List

Monday, May 9, 2011

Video Response to "How to be Creative"

How to be Creative


(The video above is just me reading what is below. It kept cutting out because I couldn't simultaneously read what I wrote and record at the same time, and however I am exporting seems to be incompatible with blogger. Below are some of the images that I put in the original video)

After reading more and more of these "How to"'s, '#' steps to spark creativity manifestos, I agree with them less. I've come to the conclusion that the summation of all these writings, put together in one sentence, speaks "You don't need to read these". Differences aside, they all convey the idea that creativity resides within yourself. I feel the same about these blogs, but I understand why they are required.

I did agree with the "dying young is overrated" step, but that's probably because I get extremely annoyed with drugs. From taking adderal to study for a big test to using dangerous drugs in order to get that "creative edge", it all bothers me. If you can't pass the class without using adderal, then you shouldn't be taking the class, and if you can't make a great piece of art without smoking weed to see the vision, then you shouldn't be creating the art in the first place. That is like giving marijuana a title of "co-author", and if I'm going to do that, then weed better start scheduling some shoots or getting me coffee or something.

Even before finishing the first step to "being creative", I found myself in disagreement with the author. "Ignore everybody". I'm pretty sure a blog we read or a video we watched last week stated that great ideas are found in the combination of smaller ideas between people. I believe that the greatest story ever created doesn't have one author. Listening is an important skill, and being able to use constructive criticism to your advantage is even more important of a skill. Do not ignore anyone; that 'spark' of creativity might be encoded in their words when they tell you that your idea sucks.

I am in between agreeing and disagreeing on the last step I picked, which states that the most important thing a creative person can learn, professionally, is to draw the red line that separates what you are willing to do and what you are not. I agree with MacLeod that a line should be created, but I think what a lot of people do is create the line too close to familiar ground instead of venturing out a little bit farther, and I think that's where a lot of artists tend to sell themselves short. You have to keep going until you get a little uncomfortable, go a little bit more, then settle down for a bit. Once you get comfortable with that, repeat. I don't think you should ever take a permanent marker, draw a line, then say "I'm not budging from this spot". World changes too fast for most people to do that and still "climb their everest", reaching that highest goal that they set out for. Get a dry erase marker instead, and draw with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment