My Blog List

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Do we create or do we discover?

http://changethis.com/manifesto/show/49.06.14Ways
(Click the picture on the left to get the article)

In this article, "Fourteen Ways to Get Breakthrough Ideas", Mitch Ditkoff suggests possible solutions to every artist's worst nightmare: creative block. Everyone has been stuck in that 'no idea zone', but sitting in a chair with your head on the table may not be the best way to find a spark of inspiration. Ditkoff starts by explaining two basic thought processes relating to the process of getting an idea; either you create the idea by yourself, or you 'find' the idea, suggesting that all ideas that people obtain are preexisting. Then, he goes into all of the different mindsets that creative people should try to attune themselves into while trying to become innovative.

The first one that stuck out to me, something that bugs me time after time whenever I visit a movie theater or watch student films, is Noticing and Challenging Existing Patterns and Trends (#9). I have noticed that over half of the student films I have ever watched begin with/end with an alarm clock going off, mainly because I did it in one of my first movies and thought someone was trying to copy me. Now, I stray from alarm clocks as much as I can, and I feel like doing so will push me to come up with original ideas on how to start a story. Hollywood does an amazing job at noticing trends, but a terrible job at challenging them. Certain formulas for stories make the most money, and that is what most production companies look for. As an aspiring film director, I have complete disgust for it, but I understand why they do it. My only hope is that one day, the general public starts to challenge the traditional story-lines and demands more creative context.

The next one I didn't realize the tremendous effect it could have until earlier this year. Hanging Out with Diverse Groups of People (#10) can help create ideas faster than anything else I have tried. A few months ago, I went to lunch with someone I met at orientation but never really talked to until we had a class together. Just by listening to his ambitions and one of the stories he told me, I began formulating a great movie idea in my head that I plan to make in a few years. Hanging out with the same people every day means subjecting yourself to the same familiar activities and conversations. I strongly believe that real life experiences can help amplify the level of intensity or artistic emotion in a creation. Surround yourself with people you are unfamiliar with, be receptive of their ideas, stories, and beliefs, and be sure to pack a pencil and some paper.

Suspend Logic (#14). This is by far the most important part of creating ideas. Do not trash an idea before fleshing it out because its 'stupid'. While explaining the idea of one of my short films to a friend, I realized how dumb the idea sounded. "I want to make a movie where you can 'see' sounds". I almost scrapped it (the only reason I didn't was because I was on a time crunch). That idea ended up winning me multiple awards, including an entry to a contest that ultimately put $3,500 dollars into my pocket. The same goes for other films that I've watched. If I think a movie is stupid because of the title/cover/intro scene, I become easily encouraged to stop paying attention or stop watching the movie altogether. Early judgment is my worst enemy. While coming up with an idea, withhold all judgment and practicality until the very end; you might create something spectacular.

The last one ends with a question "What can you do this week to suspend practicality, logic and rationality in service to birthing your big idea?"

I did this while working on a script for one of my movie ideas I want to make when I have the resources. One of the scenes involves transforming a supermarket into a Vietnam jungle. I couldn't find a way to add water into the aisle. At first, I thought it would be too complicated or ridiculous to pull off, but I suspended my judgment and tried finding a solution. Outside of the aisles, I can put some form of water slides that can flood water through the end of it. As crazy as it sounds, it makes sense drawn out. By suspending logic, I created a solution to a problem that almost caused me to throw away a potentially interesting scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment